3.13.2009

Birthday Eve

Funny how things change between children...when it was the nite before Zac's first birthday, I found myself feeling really nostalgic and a little teary thinking about his birth...with Marcus' birthday tomorrow, I don't really feel any of that. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled he's here and the last year has been quite an adventure, but something about his being the second child...and my energy level being sapped, or something...prevents me from celebrating in quite the same way I did for Zac.

Is that awful??

2 comments:

Kristen Mouw said...

Not awful. I would guess that's entirely NORMAL. Hell, I didn't even get anything put into my baby book... You're a wonderful mother and your kids are the most blessed kids I know.

Kate said...

Yep, sounds normal to me.

I think it would be just impossible to sustain that level of emotional intensity for more than one kid. It's one of the reasons why I felt so strongly about having at least two kids (and never even knew that I should be grateful that it was so easy, those times, to get pregnant): I think it's better for the kids, honestly, to have Mom a little less intense and a little less focused. Helps them function better out in the world.