12.18.2005

Sleep issues ENCORE!!

Yup, it's 3 AM, and so far tonite, I've had about one hour of sleep. But I think we may be over the hump. I hope.

Zachary has started having all sorts of sleep issues lately, waking several times a nite, and not going back to sleep without rocking by me or Chris and/or a bottle. Sometimes, I think he cries from nitemares (cuz I read somewhere that they start around this age) because he doesn't seem to be awake or very aware of what's going on around him. Sometimes, I think it's teething pain. And sometimes I think he has just forgotten how to put himself back to sleep on his own.

So tonite, after Chris and I had each been up with him between 1140 PM and 130 AM, had offered him the bottle twice, changed his diaper, and given him Tylenol, and he was still fussing, I decided to try a "technique" I saw on Supernanny (who says network tv isn't educational?), where I just sat in his room with him until he finally fell asleep. And well...after an hour and a half, it finally happened. Oooops...spoke too soon, now he's squawking in there. False alarm, now he's quiet.

At any rate, for about 45 minutes he played around in his crib, talking up a storm, crawling as fast as he could IN PLACE (pretty silly to watch), "jumping" and falling in bed, playing with his aquarium, he finally began to get tired and fight sleep in earnest. And fight the good fight he did. I could tell he was exhausted, but every so often he would start up a new round of crying with renewed vigor...and I would quietly shush him from the chair. Eventually, we got there...and now, I'm going to try to get some sleep myself.

Let's hope the rest of the nite goes a little smoother for all of us.

No comments: