8.20.2005

Life and Death


8.20.05
This evening, part of a squirrel nest in our big maple tree fell
onto our deck, and I didn't think much of it, until Sid
started sniffing around in the leaves and pulled out
this tiny baby squirrel.
He was still alive, so I shooed Sid away and
called Chris, who scooped the baby and
his dead sibling and brought them into the house.

These pictures are the live baby, after we warmed
some cloth diapers and placed them into the
currently-not-being-used baby wipe warmer (see, they
DO come in handy!!) along
with a rock that we heated up to try to keep him
warm. Then we loaded up the car and took him to
the emergency vet clinic, where I like to
think he will grow healthy and strong and
be released back into the "wild" someday.
I have no idea how old they were, but their eyes
were nowhere near open, and this little guy made
the tiniest little cries....
The whole thing was very emotional for me,
being the sap that I am.
And for the record, we had a makeshift funeral
for the sibling and buried him under
the tree in the front yard.

No comments: